Wednesday, May 4, 2011

little song bird

This morning as I lay in bed, contemplating getting up and beginning the daily activities, I opened my window. Travus is not a fan of this because it is still very cold at 6am but just pulled the covers up over his shoulders more. Bless his heart. I could hear a few different birds singing good morning. I love the mourning doves. They come every year and give a low cooing call. The magpies were screeching as usual. They are so loud. We have some small finch that live in the tree in front. Mixed in with the normal morning going ons of the local bird community I could hear one song that was different. I had to look out the window to see who this new contributor was. I saw a somewhat plain little dark bird perched on the tree outside of my window. I watched her as she sang (I am guessing the bird was a she). Her call was short and beautiful. She would call the same tune over and over again, as if she was announcing her presence. She would start out tweeting and singing and as she got to the end of her little tune, she would call so loudly that she had to beat her wing several times in the air. It  seemed like she was trying so hard to get her melody out into the world. I read somewhere that some song bird have a repertoire of up to 2000 different songs, able to trill and tweet magnificent songs. My little bird only had one but she seemed proud and happy to give the world her singular song. It made me wonder if I could be like this little bird. Sometimes I think that because my song is different or not as pretty as others, I don't contribute. I let pride and shame stop me from sharing with the world what I have to offer. I want to be more like my little bird, to shout out who and what I am, what I believe and love with courage and confidence...without excuses. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love your metaphor of the little bird not only having one song, but being plain and brown. It was really what I needed this cold stormy morning. I feel like this bird some days, but instead of focusing on the one wonderful thing that I CAN do, I focus on my plain looks and lack of confidence. Thank you SO much for your insight, courage, and friendship Marci! Know that you are a hero to many, and a light to us all.

    ReplyDelete